Toy Story 4: Is There a New Screenwriter?

Ever since the second delay of Toy Story 4 was announced last October, pushing the film back to a June 21, 2019 release, hardly any updates have been shared about the movie.  However, just today Pixar Post made the discovery that a new writer is being credited with penning the Toy Story 4 screenplay.

This new detail surfaced in articles from Variety, Rolling Stone, and The Hollywood Reporter, listing Toy Story 4 as one of the projects screenwriter Martin Hynes has been associated with.  According to iMDb, Hynes is mostly known for his work on independent films such as George Lucas in Love and The Go-Getter, and has also written for Universal/Imagine, Disney, and New Line.  In regards to Toy Story 4, what is not known is how long he has been working with Pixar on the story, and whether he is writing in collaboration with Rashida Jones and Will McCormack – who were previously named the sequel’s writers – or has replaced them entirely.

When Toy Story 4 was first pushed back from its original 2017 release date, Pete Docter was mentioned as having joined the writing team.  Now, following the second schedule shift, yet another writer has been brought on board; and I hope that this is the positive change that was needed to resolve the story troubles that have apparently been plaguing the movie’s production for the past several years.  With Hynes’ film The Go-Getter being described as a road movie and a love story, that could provide some clues as to why he was chosen for the project:  we already know that Toy Story 4 is about Woody’s quest to be reunited with his lost love Bo Peep, a journey that will take the toys on the road to find her.

Recently, Co-Director Josh Cooley shared a funny tweet about a clearly-fake Toy Story 4 bootleg DVD.  I tend to take that as a good sign, because I don’t think that a filmmaker would joke around about a movie that was still struggling.  That, combined with this news of a new screenwriter, and some previous positive remarks from Pete Docter and Andrew Stanton, hopefully indicates that Toy Story 4 is finally falling into place.  Stay tuned for more updates as they become available!

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Toy Story 4: Is There a New Screenwriter?

1. Rebecca K. March 27, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Maybe…just maybe, what if this means the movie will be completed and released sooner than 2019?! That would be so exciting! Every time we go to see a movie in the theatre, I think, “I can’t wait to see Toy Story4.” Thanks for the update. It makes me feel excited now. I just feel like now there will be much more progress on the movie.

My sister and I went to see the live-action Beauty and the Beast. It was beautiful! I had heard nasty rumors about the movie showing suggestive material. Well, I saw it and that’s not true! Disney did just as phenomenal a job on it as they did on the live-action Cinderella! It was so worth the money to go and can’t wait till it comes out on DVD. But now we hate Gaston more than ever!

I am looking forward to Toy Story4 very much, and am preparing to do my own fanfic of it, hopefully soon. Thanks for posting this!

• Heidi March 31, 2017 / 7:45 pm

I wish we could have it sooner, but I’ll just be thankful for 2019 at this point! 🙂 My suspicions are that this writer might have been the key to fixing the story problems they were dealing with last fall, because the articles are worded in a way that suggest he has been working on it for a while. Maybe Pixar was trying to keep the change quiet, and this one story leaked it? It’s hard to say, but I hope it just means that Toy Story 4 is finally on the right track.

I’m glad you enjoyed Beauty and the Beast! I’ve heard many good things about it. I haven’t made it to the theater yet to see it myself, but I want to, and hope to soon. 🙂

2. Dana March 31, 2017 / 5:31 pm

Wait, wait wait………….does this mean that Rashida Jones and Will Mc Cormack will NOT be writing the screenplay anymore? I’m a little confused……I thought John Lasseter wanted them to do it……….were they not writing the story the way he wanted? I’m confused!

Dana

• Heidi March 31, 2017 / 7:39 pm

Nobody knows if this new writer has been brought on to write with them, or instead of them; and nobody knows how long he’s been working on it, either – it could go as far back as when things got changed up last October. I do think it is possible, though, that Rashida Jones and Will McCormack were having issues with the screenplay, and things weren’t working out. Even though John Lasseter and the others liked their previous work, maybe the Toy Story characters and/or the story itself just weren’t clicking for them. This new writer could have been brought on to fix things. Hopefully we’ll eventually get some information from Pixar! 🙂

3. Dana April 8, 2017 / 11:13 pm

Well. I hope so! I also understand that Don Rickles has passed away!! How awful!! What will become of the voice of Mr. potato head now????? Will the movie shut down production???? This movie has had so many problems it isn’t funny……..I’m really concerned again!! Not only because of the movie being pushed back a year, but now one of the main voice actors has passed!! I do hope this movie will not stop production!! **SIGH**

• Heidi April 8, 2017 / 11:33 pm

I’ll be getting a post up about Don Rickles in the next few days – I wanted to wait for some more information to come out before I wrote anything. This situation is not unprecedented, and is not a reason to expect the absolute worst. Between Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, Jim Varney, the voice of Slinky, passed away. They were able to replace him with a similar-sounding voice actor before the next film, and keep the character going. They could also use existing voice tracks to piece together dialogue, or just write out the character entirely, like they did with Doc Hudson in Cars 2. There are many options, especially since the film is still rather early in production and edits can be made more easily. I’m sure Pixar has already started working on a solution – if they figured it out before, they’ll figure it out again.

4. Dana April 9, 2017 / 8:59 am

I’m just scared they’ll move the release date to 2020 now………..do you think they’ll still release the movie in 2019? **sigh** I don’t know what to think.

• Heidi April 9, 2017 / 10:06 am

Pixar still has more than two years to work this out, and I see no reason to expect that reconsidering a secondary character’s role in the film would take them an additional year. The movie’s plot does not center around Mr. Potato Head. And even if they already have a solution – like replacing his voice actor, or writing him out – they’re not going to mention it now, out of respect for Don Rickles. Like I said before, this happened at the easiest point of production for them to make adjustments, which I am sure they already have started doing. In the words of Buzz Lightyear, this is no time to panic.

5. Dana April 9, 2017 / 11:55 am

I’m trying not to panic, but it’s hard not to, ,with the screenwriters not working out, a voice actor passing away, and the fear of the movie NEVER being made!!!!!!!! UGH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Heidi April 9, 2017 / 12:29 pm

I don’t know what else to say, besides the other explanations I’ve given. They still have TWO YEARS to make things work, with or without Mr. Potato Head. Have some trust in Pixar, and go back and read the articles I shared a few months ago, where Pete Docter and Andrew Stanton both stated that Toy Story 4 is making positive progress. I would venture to say that the new screenwriter is a big reason why they’re in a better place now. Did you know that Toy Story 3 was pushed back, too? It was originally announced for 2009, then was moved to 2010, and look how fantastic it turned out. Issues arise on basically every film, but you work through them – look up the histories of Brave and The Good Dinosaur, even the first two Toy Story films. Pixar has a great team working on Toy Story 4, and want to do right by it – they are the only ones with the answers right now. All we can do is wait and see what path they choose for the story.

6. Dana April 9, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Well I hope they are sticking with what John Lasseter wanted for the story…..that is, that woody will reunite with bo! (and I am PRAYING that she would go back with him!!)